Re: simplelist speed

On Jan 4, 2005, at 12:17 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

Ross McFarland <rwmcfa1 neces com> writes:
On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 21:57, Dan Espen wrote:
If I disable the cell data func, its faster but not by much, maybe 20%.

i would guess the slowdown is due to the ties that create SimpleLists, but i'm not certain.

For some reason, that totally slipped my mind. But would a tie really be *that* slow?

if that's the case the solution is not to use simple list.

I would've said that anyway -- what you're doing is no longer Simple. ;-)

I ran thru some of the examples, most of them exhibit the pointer movement issue, which isn't a big problem for me, it just doesn't seem right. If you run one of these things over a network, it causes a packet storm.

None of them had the slow refresh issue, but none of them have 31x11 cells either.

I just slapped together a quick test using a SimpleList with 13 columns and 150 rows (trivial data, "<span color=\"red\">$_</span", where $_ is the row number), and ran it on my linux server, displaying on my wireless powerbook. It wasn't noticeably slow, nor noticeably slower than running directly on the laptop, but i can't see the network traffic lights from here, either. ;-)

Oh, and the machines are 3 and 1 GHz, respectively, so it's not exactly a fair comparison. :-/

--
Without treatment, a common cold will last about seven days.
With treatment, it will last about a week.