Re: Stealing a good idea from Gtk#

* muppet <scott asofyet org> [2004-09-27 03:46]:
in defense of the += operator, the += makes sense because you
can connect any number of handlers to a signal, while = implies
a Highlander nature ("there can be only one!").

I know. Just deciding that "+= means you can ``add'' more than
one signal handler" smells like overloading-because-I-can,
though.

how would you handle variants like connect-after and user data?

connect-after could simply be taken care of using an extra, near-
identical SIGNAL::AFTER package.

User data would be rather more tricky.. in Gtk# you're passing in
an object, not merely a coderef, so it's not a problem. Of
course, in a language that has closures, you don't *need* to be
able to pass user data..

Regards,
--
Aristotle
"If you can't laugh at yourself, you don't take life seriously enough."