async IO and gtk

Hello!

First, I'm very new to perl at the moment. I'm using it to write a Gaim plugin.

I would like to know the correct way to use asyncronous sockets with gtk-perl.
From my reading of the docs it appears that GIOChannel's are used to handle
sockets, but they are not wrapped by gtk-perl.

Is there a way to create a socket with perl and have gtk do the select()-ing on
it and call my code when interesting things happen?

Or do I need my own select() loop? If so, what's the best way to integrate that
with the gtk mainloop?

Thank you,
-Eric Mangold