massrotate fontconfig, Gtk2

Greetings -- I've found a simple script on freshmeat, massrotate,
which allows to quickly apply lossless jpegtran rotation to digital
photos.  The simplest thing, it shows pictures and lets one choose
which to rotate.  It's in perl-Gtk2.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/massrotate/

So I found my SuSE 7.1 lacking and got all the sources, glib,
fontconfig, xft, libXrender, pango, atk, gtk+, ah!  Compiles.

All the tests in gtk+-2.4.1/tests/.libs/ work fine, showing windows
with text, buttons with text, etc.

perl -MCPAN -e shell, install Gtk2, ah!  Installs.
When I call massrotate, it says,

WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Bitstream Charter 16 at
+/usr/local/bin/massrotate line 99.
Segmentation fault

It was doing just segfault until I removed /usr/lib/X11/fonts/URW.
Same removal was needed while installing fontconfig-2.2.94 (and
2.2.2).  Even replacing the URW, which was a (only) symlink to
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts, with the actual copy, didn't help then
and now.

I wonder where Gtk2 and Pango fail to load the fonts, even though
stand-alone gtk+ tests do show text captions.

--
Cheers,
Alexy Khrabrov :: www.setup.org :: Age Quod Agis