Going through a TreeStore

On several occasions I've got to go through all elements of a TreeStore
to search for a certain property.

Right now I'm doing this with a recursive call which looks in principle
like this:

sub search {
        if (iter at path is valid) {

I don't like this solution. Furthermore, it gives you a real headache it
your starting position is deep within some branch and you want to search
downwards from this position.

Therefore: Is there a better way to get all iterators in the same order
as the Store is being displayed from below a certain position?