Re: [RFC] Gtk2::SizeRecall - Persistently store and restorewidgetsizes

muppet said:

On Tuesday, May 18, 2004, at 09:27 PM, Ross McFarland wrote:

on top of that, there's already a few things in the Gtk2 name-space
that probably shouldn't be (and we put them there)

while we can't remove them without breaking API compat, we *can*
deprecate them.

yeah, that's basically the conculsion i'd come to this morning. we can create
a new extras package in which the next generation simple list and tree can
live. i suppose simple menu ought to come along for the ride. we could then
deprecate the versions in Gtk2.

my only concern is that i would like to have a name space under which anything
'3rd party` module is welcome. after thinking about it i'm not sure i would
want to limit it to perl only modules. my current thoughts would involve a
name space line Gtk2::Ex::*. (Ex standing for Extra, and something really
short) as i see it, it would provide a place where any module could be placed
without fear of namespace clashes with 'real' gtk stuff. the only requirements
for the namespace would be to email this list before publically releasing a
module under it. we'd then consider the base Gtk2 namespace off limits.
(perhaps the same should be done for Glib, Gnome2, etc.)

there probably ought to be a set of these modules groupped togeter and
released as Gtk2-Ex. the exact workings of that system/process i'm not quite
sure.

-rm