Re: Binding convention for poorly named functions

muppet wrote:
fine, we've released functions as methods, so it would be incongruous to start
adding functions.

that doesn't mean we can't make poorly-named functions be class static
methods, in the namespace of the adding library, not the target "object". this will give you the consistent method syntax while avoiding the possibility
of namespace clashes.

I think you have your answer right there, especially given the below:

  # as a static method (consistent with how we've done things in the past)
  Some::Naughty->function (other_object)

For the Gnome2/Gtk2 menu->attach problem from a short while back, you'd have

  gnome_popup_menu_attach (gtkmenu, ...)
  Gnome2::PopupMenu->attach ($gtkmenu, ...)

I concur that it does suck to be stuck with this until Gtk3, but it seems you've dug your own hole, especially since we have signed on to the GNOME Language Bindings deal and are in the midst of a major freeze for GNOME 2.6.

Perhaps you could make the change just before the GNOME 2.8 release (or GTK 2.6 release), as most developers will be making updates to their programs during these times anyway. (I'm certain a whole HOST of applications will jump on the GtkFileChooser bandwagon as soon as GTK 2.4 comes out) This is what branches are for anyway, right?

James