Gnome2::Canvas

Hi,
         Could someone please answer ( or point me in the direction where I can find
the answer)  some questions I have about Gnome2::Canvas.
1. Why  is it called Gnome2::Canvas. Isn't Gnome built with Gtk so wouldn't
Gtk2::Canvas be a better name?

2. Where does it fit in the Gtk hierarchy tree?

3. When creating a canvas item why the call to $root?
eg. my $root =$canvas->root;
my $item = Gnome2::Canvas::Item->new ($root,
                                      'Gnome2::Canvas::Ellipse');
Am I correct in thinking that no other widget makes this sort of call so why
does this one need it?

I hope you don't mind me asking such basic questions but I am really trying
understand the "ins & outs" of Gtk

        Thanks...
                         John  ( a Newbie)
--