Re: Call For Examples and Documentation

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 07:48, muppet wrote:
Hear ye, hear ye, we be in need of example scripts, api reference
documentation, and general documentation!  Anything for the
instructionizing of coders new and old!

We need self-contained, well-documented programs to add to our examples
collection both in the source distribution and on the webpage:
http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/doc/examples/

We need brief descriptions of object methods and functions.  These are
in the form of pod in the xs files, and have a small set of custom pod
tags.  Ask on the mailing list or in irc about how to write them, and
then submit the results as patches.

We need tutorial- and introduction-style documents, of varying scopes
-- how to use SimpleList effectively, how to do drawing, what's up with
the text widget, how do you use libglade, etc.

You might be interested in the
gnome-python/pygtk/codegen/docextract_to_xml.py script that extracts all
the documentation from the C libraries (inline comments and sgml files)
and creates an .xml file:
http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gtkmm/gtk/src/gtk_docs.xml

For gtkmm, we are able to translate those docs into C++ automatically
for lots of methods, and override the rest.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com