Re: Gnome2-VFS

On Jun 14, 2004, at 10:54 PM, Ross McFarland wrote:

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 19:02, muppet wrote:
On Monday, June 14, 2004, at 05:07 PM, Ross McFarland wrote:

- modify Gnome2-VFS and/or Gtk2 so that gtk/gtk.h isn't needed to build Gnome2-VFS.

just VFS. it doesn't need to include gtk.h. in fact, i thought we'd already fixed that. :-/

it includes gtk2perl.h which inclues gtk/gtk.h. it needs neither, including gperl.h is sufficent. (along with replacing Gtk2 with Glib in the EU::D call)

it's a pretty easy fix; kaffee will probably have it done by the time i wake up. :-)

the issue that '-I build' is being added to the CFLAGS of all of the Gtk2 dependent modules via EU::D. needs to be addressed. i don't like it b/c -I build is just magically being added by someone else and the module is making use of it. i would prefer that it was added explicitly in each module that uses the build directory or ...

the problem is that whatever flags you add to the EU::Depends object will be inherited by all dependent objects. that's why they all inherit -Ibuild from Gtk2. it works out nicely since they all use Gtk2::CodeGen. *shrug*

there's no way to fix that without hacking up EU::Depends to add "non-remembered CFLAGS", from what i can tell. that would be an API addition.

we do need to change something here. is the solution to not add -I build at all and prefix all of the autogen'd headers with build/? i don't see an issue with doing this, in fact i kinda like it.

we can't add build/ to the include directives unless we also install the generated files under <modpath>/Install/build/ --- remember that the module header that includes the generated files gets installed for other modules to use.

doing so was my test solution with Gnome2::VFS. apparently the toplevel of the module is put in the include path by something. and doing build/vfs2-autogen.h etc. works fine.

all of the build happens in the main module dir, since there's only one Makefile, so it's implicit.

did you try building Gnome2 with the altered Gnome2::VFS? i bet it will break.

--
That's it! It's one thing for a ghost to scare my children, but it's another to play my theremin!
  - Homer Simpson