Re: [RFC] Glib::filename_(to|from)_unicode => Glib->filename_(to|from)_unicode?

Marc Lehmann wrote:
[snip]
Some thoughts,  them I'm done.
I found your language pretty inflamatory. It seemed like some pretty clear responses had been made to your initial queries. The tone of the debate seemed to be descending into an argument about what was "correct" from your point of view, versus what Muppet and Ross had already decided fit with the way they were going to do things.

So I wrote an inflamatory note back.

I didn't research who you were (how many packages you have on CPAN, how much code you've contributed to Gtk2 perl, etc.). I didn't check to see whether you had the "authority" to make these arguments and I certainly didn't check to see what evidence you had to back up your assertion of skill and knowledge. So I apologize for questioning that you know what you are talking about.

I also apologize for calling you a troll, for any annoyance my note may have caused you (or anyone on the list), and for appearing to imply that you said thing that you didn't.

I've enjoyed reading and folowing this list as a lurker for quite some time. The list has had a friendly atmosphere where end users of the modules happily interact with the developers who are creating the code. Everyone has been quite open to reasonable suggestion, it has seemed to me. I was a bit taken aback that someone could argue so vociferously about something that doesn't exactly make that much difference (as far as I in my limited experience can tell, granted).

Maybe this is inevitable. Programing takes a good size ego, I think. Ideas become very important to the people who hold or create them. Sharp words and unhappyness are not fun, of course, but maybe it is required to move anything forward.

I'm less willing to risk participating in projects that are filled with the tensions of competing experts and jousting points of view. But some of the best projects out there are known for the contentiousness of their communities.

So, please debate away. I will stay as far away from this discussion about "Glib:::filename or Glib->filename" as I can. and I will let others with more "standing" continue to explain themselves.

I'm sure they will do a much better job.

--
In Reach Technology:    http://inreachtech.net/

Robert G. Werner
robert inreachtech net

Tel: 559.304.5122

Life is to you a dashing and bold adventure.