Re: [RFC] Glib::filename_(to|from)_unicode => Glib->filename_(to|from)_unicode?

Marc Lehmann wrote:
[snip]
I'm not sure what you are trying to do here. Your whole argument seems to be that since gtk+ was implemented in a language that doesn't have object oriented syntactic sugar, Perl shouldn't use the syntax it has to make the API more perlish.

That is very strange. If people want to use the C api, they are free to write their apps in C. However, if they want to use Perl, they should be able to use Perl Idioms.

I can't see that you are very well informed about any work going on in CPAN if you insist that making an API more Perlish is the wrong way to go.

Besides, if you would really like a functional Gtk+ binding in perl, you are free to write one. There is clearly room for more than one binding on CPAN. Maybe people will like your functional interface that requires passing pointers, etc, better.

But the dicision on how to implement Gtk+2 in perl in this project was made long ago. The guiding principles are there for all to read in the archives of the list.

It is silly for you to insist that using an Object Oriented interface to represent Gtk objects in perl is wrong when the original implementors of gtk talked about doing OO in C.

Basically, until you show some code implementing your arguments, I think you are a troll. And a pretty useless one at that.

--
In Reach Technology:    http://inreachtech.net/

Robert G. Werner
robert inreachtech net

Tel: 559.304.5122

Life is to you a dashing and bold adventure.