Re: Gtk2-1.021 make test failures

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 16:07, Kevin Spencer wrote:
Blimey, on Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 01:10:10PM -0500, muppet wrote:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use Gtk2::SimpleList;
use strict;

that should be fine.

you don't need a pm for TreeView, it is brought in with Gtk2 --- since
0.20, Gtk2 consists of Gtk2.pm and Gtk2.so, rather than the single .so
and hundreds of .pms use by the old Inline stuff.

SimpleList and a few other helpers (in the pm dir of the source dist)
are just gravy, stuff implemented in pure perl that *uses* Gtk2.

if you have 'use Gtk2::Window;' or 'use Gtk2::TreeView;', you will be
picking up the old Inline-based stuff, and attempting to mix the two
incompatible versions.

I think I'm confused.  Doesn't Gtk2::SimpleList pull in Gtk2::TreeView:

use base 'Gtk2::TreeView';

it sets Gtk2::SimpleList's ISA up to have Gtk2::TreeView as a parent,
which as muppet said purely implemented in c/xs, no pm's to speak of.

however, according to the man page for 'base' it does a require for that
class (which seems bad/odd/weird to me) which could very well be the
problem, if it does indeed require Gtk2::TreeView.

quote:
  Roughly similar in effect to

           BEGIN {
               require Foo;
               require Bar;
               push @ISA, qw(Foo Bar);
           }

i don't know what to tell you.

Thanks again for your patience, am I making this 500 times harder than
it needs to be?? :-)

it's not your fault the problems are with mandrake having (for
understandable reasons) distributed a non-trivially modified version.

we've taken great pains to make everything backwards compatible, but the
things done there by mandrake (in order to support existing mandrake
code) just weren't right for general consumption.

my best thought at this point is to get a hold of the modified mandrake
version and install it in a non-system place. remove the system version
and then use PERL5LIB to include it whenever you run the mandrake tools
that require it. that way it won't be picked up the rest of the time. of
course do so at your own risk, blah blah blah. if you want to write up a
FAQ entry about all this when you get it resolved it would probably be
useful for the other mandrake users out there having the same issues.

-rm