Re: debugger freezes X + perl-Glib spec-file dependencies

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 14:01, Kevin Moore wrote:
Hi,

Thanks to all involved for the great work on perl-Gtk2;  it's been
working really well for me.  However, I ran across something interesting
when trying to run some scripts in a debugger.

I don't know if this is a perl-Gtk2, gtk2, or X issue, but if you put a
breakpoint in "on_entry_activate" in the following script and then hit
"enter" in the combo box, X freezes.  ctl-alt-F1 works, and killing the
perl debugger from the text console brings things back to normal.  I'm
guessing that the re-drawing that occurs when the activate signal goes
off is somehow the cause of this because the debugger seems to work
great for other widgets.

it's likely due to keyboard and/or pointer grabs. try running the
debugger from another machine or at least another virtual term on the
same machine.

This is with perl-Glib-1.020 and perl-Gtk2-1.023.  perl-Glib-1.022
binary and source RPM's want me to upgrade my RH9 distribution to at
least glib-2.3.2.  Building from the perl-Glib-1.022 sources was
successful (so was 'make test') with glib2 version 2.2.1, so I suspect
that the spec-file, at least for the SRPM, is a bit too restrictive.

some of the srpm in the stable series are flawed. the binary rpms should
be fine. the problem has been fixed in HEAD so the unstable releases
will work fine. fixing the srpm is on my TODO list, but pretty low
priority for the time being. in reality you should be fine working with
the unstable releases, most of us do without issue. so if you would
really prefer srpm give those a try.

-rm