Re: glib 1.2.9 will not compile

Ronald Cross said:
I have a G4 powerbook apple computer with a 1.0 GHz processor using mac
os x 10.2.8 on Jaquar.  I am trying to download GIMP.  But before I can
do this, I read that I need to download and install Glib and Gtk.  I
downloaded both glib 1.2.9 and gtk 1.2.9 and gimp 1.2.3.  I was able to
configure glib 1.2.9.  I was also able to build glib 1.2.9.  However,
when I try to compile glib 1.2.9 I get the following error:

you've probably got the wrong mailing list. this is a list for gtk-perl, perl
bindings of glib/gtk. you probably want gtk-list.

/bin/sh ./mkinstalldirs /usr/local/lib
/bin/sh ./libtool  --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c libglib.la
/usr/local/lib/
libglib.la
/usr/bin/install -c .libs/libglib.lai /usr/local/lib/libglib.la
/usr/bin/install: /usr/local/lib/libglib.la: Permission denied
make[2]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 71
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Does anyone know what this means and how do I fix it so that I can
compile glib and move on to gtk and finally onto gimp?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

that being said it looks like you're trying to install a file into a system
directory as a non-root user. if that's the case then (quite obviously) you
need to become root on the box before installing it. if you don't have root
priv on the box then look into using the --prefix option to configure, this
will require you to set up some enviorment variables as well.

all that being said i would be very surprised if there weren't binary packages
available for your system (especially since you want the 1.x series) i would
suggest looking into that. i know of no major distrobutoins (although they're
may be a few) that don't come with glib/gtk as pkgs on the install media, and
really gimp for that matter.

-rm