Re: Newbie ? - fail on Gtk2-1.00

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 04:22, Ross McFarland wrote:
On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 22:36, Levi Kilcher wrote:
My suse 8.2 box produces the following error when I attempt to "perl
Makefile.PL" Gtk2-1.00:

*** can not find package gtk+-2.0 >= 2.0.0
*** check that it is properly installed and available in PKG_CONFIG_PATH
 at Makefile.PL line 62

it is likely the problem is the version of ExtUtils-PkgConfig that you
have. it needs to be at at least version 1.0. prior to that the ability
to require versions wasn't available and when Makefile.PL asks for
'gtk+-2.0 >= 2.0.0' it looks for a package with that full string for its
name, rather than a version of gtk+-2.0 newer than 2.0.0. so upgrade
ExtUtils-PkgConfig and if that doesn't fix it let me know.

I apreciate it, but I have the most up to date version of pkg-config and
all other packages on your site as of yesterday (Nov 3 03).  Although I
didn't remove any old version... is it possible that an older version
still exists on my system?  'pkg-config --version' returns '0.15.0'  If
this is the case, how should I go about removing it?

The files:
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gtk+-2.0.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gtk+-2.0.pc
Both exist, but ExtUtils::PkgConfig seems unable to find it.

it's odd for there to be one in both locations. are the for the same
version? is gtk+ installed two times on your system, once with
/usr/local as the prefix and once as /usr. even so, this may not cause
you any trouble, but if you start seeing really weird things happening
(with all gtk+ apps) then that might be the culprit.

I haven't noticed anything wierd with any of my gtk apps, but thanks for
the info.  Both files are identical and are:

-------------begin file-------

prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=/usr/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include
target=x11

gtk_binary_version=2.2.0
gtk_host=i686-suse-linux

Name: GTK+
Version: 2.2.1
Requires: gdk-${target}-2.0 atk
Libs: -L${libdir} -lgtk-${target}-2.0
Cflags: -I${includedir}/gtk-2.0

-------------end file-----------

Lastly, in response to muppet:

that's quite odd.  what does 'pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --modversion' in a
terminal give you?

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>

'pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --modversion' returns:

"Package gdk-x11-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gdk-x11-2.0.pc'
Package 'gdk-x11-2.0', required by 'GTK+', not found"

But again, the file:
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gdk-x11-2.0.pc
exists.
So if I 'export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig/'
then 'pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --modversion'
I get:

"Package pangoxft was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `pangoxft.pc'
Package 'pangoxft', required by 'GDK', not found"

And this file 'pangoxft.pc' does not exist on my system.

Is this a problem with my gtk+-2.0 installation (perhaps that I may have
two of them) or something with pkg-config?

thx
lkilcher