X stub server for headless testing?

i'd like to set up an automated build and test of gtk2-perl on a server
(private, sorry) which doesn't run an X server, on account of having no
graphics card or display.

if Gtk2->init can't find an X server, gtk2-perl scripts will not run.

my first thought is to use Xvnc, but that would require me either to get the
sysad to start Xvnc for me, or start a new copy of Xvnc for every build,
potentially having more than one alive at a time.

does anybody know of a stub server or stub library would be suitable?

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>