Re: GtkSpell problems

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 06:44:32PM +0200, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
René Seindal <rene seindal dk> writes:

1) Don't check words starting with digits.  Pango might think
they are words, but I know they aren't :-)

what about mispelled words that begin with digits ?

eg 1etter for letter, ...

I hadn't thought about that.  I think it is very unlikely, though.

it often happens when you use ocr for example ... :-(

I guess the real problem is in the back-end (aspell in my case)
which apparently marks text like 3rd, 1970s as misspelled.  If you
have a lot of that in a text you have red lines all over.

humm. the ideal fix would be to allow \d+(rd|s|...)$ in aspell but

That'll be language dependant.

that may not be so easy (when you consider the lack of ispell addon
for building word list from automatic rules, affix, suffixes and
roots)

maybe adding a configuration value for this somewhere (gtkspell? perl
binding?).

The decision about what constitutes words are made by pango calls from
the gtkspell C code.  Maybe that is the problem.  If the pango functions
were made to facilitate cursor-moving in text editors, then any block of
alphanumeric characters would be a word,

i do not know what's the way to go ...

A funny thing is that apparently aspell does accept these words:

$ aspell -a -d en_GB
@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.50.3)
30s
*

1950s
*

3rd
*

67th
*

Maybe there are differences from the commandline aspell and libaspell?

--
René Seindal (rene seindal dk)                  http://sights.seindal.dk/