Re: gtk2-perl-xs on Mandrake?

On Friday, July 4, 2003, at 11:56 AM, Thierry Vignaud wrote:

Thierry Vignaud <tvignaud mandrakesoft com> writes:

I'll do that and hope that Mandrake 9.2 will move to gtk2-perl-xs.

we lacks something to get root window (like
gdk_x11_get_default_root_xwindow() from gdk/gdkx.h)

had discussed something like this with ggc a while back. i think all the X11-specific stuff should go into a separate, optional module, e.g. Gtk2::Gdk::X11, and similarly for the framebuffer and win32 stuff.

thankfully, gdk_get_default_root_window() is in gdk proper (gdkwindow.h), so we don't really have to worry about that yet.

and i just put gdk_get_default_root_window() in CVS as Gtk2::Gdk->get_default_root_window. i put it in GdkWindow.xs rather than Gdk.xs as in your patch, because the prototype is in gdkwindow.h. i'm not sure why the prototype wasn't already in GdkWindow.xs, at least commented out; i suppose this file was created before ross fixed the bigger bugs in genfirstpass.pl.

we also need access to PANGO_PIXELS, so a wrapper must me written in
xs.

added this to PangoFont.xs as Gtk2::Pango->PANGO_PIXELS, aliased to Gtk2::Pango->pixels. normally it would go in PangoTypes.xs, because it's in pango-types.h, but PANGO_SCALE was already in there.

all this pango stuff has a very inconsistent and ugly interface; somebody who understands pango well should come up with a revision for our perl API for pango.

btw, why Gtk2->init does not handle @ARGV now. i had to do the following:
<ugtk3.diff>

actually, it *does* handle @ARGV --- it explicitly gets @main::ARGV. if you need to push or pop other args, work on that one. gtk-handled args will also be automagically deleted from @ARGV.