Re: TreeView performance/simplicity

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 15:22, Bruce Alderson wrote:
Anyway, I thought I'd let you know that I've been playing with a file
system front-end, with an instant-messenger sort of interface (like
Dashboard, but for managing documents/blog entries).  In some simple
tests, I've found that the TreeView can be populated with several
hundred items, in a way that performs much better than I expected
(milliseconds) .. and this is from file -> hash -> tree store.  I was
thinking that the 'dual' data store would bork performance, but testing
proved me very wrong -- perl, gtk2-perl bindings, and gtk2 perform well
together.  This is using Gtk2/Gtk2-GladeXML from a month-old CVS build.

not that it will really affect your situation, but there were some
recent commits to the 2.3 branch that will drastically increase
performance on tree/list view under certain circumstances, namely when
all of the rows are going to be equal height:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2003-December/msg00127.html

I'm also thinking that I'll put together another example program that
shows how to use a TreeView/TreeStore with Gtk2/Gtk2-GladeXML.  I'll
look at adding details to the documentation when I'm back from holidays
next week (unless someone else is working on that), as the questions
I've had (and answered) were not in my last build of the docs.

examples are always welcome.

-rm