Vte latency creating the Widget?

Has anyone else noticed a rather large amount of latency when creating VTE
widgets? is it something i'm doing wrong? or is it just the lib in general
that's really slow? :)

$app = Gtk2::Window->new ($type=GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);

# latency starts here.

my $mainwin = Gnome2::Vte::Terminal->new;

# and finishes here.

I've done some testing, and confirmed that it's definately that call that's
creating the delay, it can take upto a second on occasions to create the widget,
is this normal?

I'm used to using the Vte Widget from gnome1 :S