Re: Gtk2/Glib 0.96

On Saturday, August 30, 2003, at 01:20  AM, James Curbo wrote:

On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 00:08, muppet wrote:
however, Gtk2 0.97 will probably depend on Glib 0.97.

All righty. If those 0.97 changes go through, we'll have to update
debian/control, specifically:
<snip>

duly noted.

which makes me think, I should investigate the library dependencies for
all the modules more closely; for instance, will glib/gtk 2.0 work or do
we require 2.2?

officially, gtk2-perl requires gtk+ >= 2.0.0.

we take whatever pkg-config finds for gtk+-2.0. the 2.x series is supposed to remain binary compatible, and the 2.0 in the pkgconfig name actually refers to the api version, not the library version. the gtk2-perl code uses the versioning tools provided by gtk to enable the right stuff when gtk+ >= 2.2.0 is present.

this makes me wonder, though, what happens if you change the installed version of gtk+ after compiling gtk2-perl.

perl usually does lazy loading at runtime, but make test forces all symbols to resolve at load, which catches dangling symbols and dupes and such. we'd have to undo that in order to have 2.2.x functions always available in the binaries, and even that wouldn't work on all platforms. ick.