Re: getting Gtk-perl

Nori Heikkinen said:
don't wait for 1.0, use 0.94 (released about two hours ago).

okay.

i've been trying to compile and install, and it appears to have
worked.  I'm curious as to why 20 out of 20 tests fail in `make test`
(on both 0.92, which i tried half an hour ago, and 0.94):

i didn't check all of them, but the first five failed tests experienced their
first failures on the line with Gtk2->init.  the only ways Gtk2->init will
fail are gtk binary version mismatches and inablity to connect to an X server.

in fact, i just tried it from my home machine (i.e., over an ssh link with no
X forwarding) and i got the same results, so it looks like you can't get to an
X server.  without an X server, none of the tests will work, as this is an X
toolkit.

hrm.  looks like we need an option in all the *.t files to skip all the tests
when DISPLAY isn't defined.

until then, just make sure you have X running and your DISPLAY set.

this doesn't appear to have affected installation, but are these going
to bite me in the ass later, when I try to use them?

you should be fine, but again, you have to have an X connection to run any
programs.

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>