Re: newbie question

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 16:39, Carl Hartshorn wrote:
I would like to install Gtk-Perl without gnome.

My installation has  gnome 2 (actually garnome) but I do have all the basic
gtk/glib/gdk version 1 stuff installed.
If I use --without-guessing, it seems to want to build with gtkhtml and glade
and a few others. If I enumerate the gnome stuff, it still wants to build with
gtkhtml (--without-gnome  --without-gnomeprint --without-applets
--without-gtkglarea --without-gtkhtml --without-gtkxmhtml). It fails on building
the XS_ stuff.

I do have a fully functional gnome2.2 installation but it appears to be
unrecognized. E.G. gnome-config no longers exists.

Is there a way to build without gnome1?

if you are wanting to install Gtk-Perl to fulfill a dependency the best
route for getting Gtk-Perl onto a system (in my opinion) is to find a
binary pkg. rpm, deb, etc. a good percentage of distro's come with a pkg
of Gtk-Perl. if that's not an option there are people around here that
know more about it's build process so hopefully they can help you out.

I see a newer version called gtk2-perl but I don't know if that is compatible
with gtk-perl (or gnome2.2 for that matter).

if you're wanting to install this so that you can develop and app then i
would highly suggest using Gtk2-Perl rather than Gtk-Perl. Gtk2-Perl is
much more modular and you should have fewer problems getting it built
and installed. if you have a working install of Gtk2 on your system then
you are ready to go. grab the ExtUtils::Depends, Glib, and Gtk2 modules
from http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/ and install them in that order.

Gtk-Perl is nearly abandon-ware. it is not going away any time soon, but
it is not really being updated and fixed either.

-rm