newbie question

I would like to install Gtk-Perl without gnome.

My installation has  gnome 2 (actually garnome) but I do have all the basic
gtk/glib/gdk version 1 stuff installed.
If I use --without-guessing, it seems to want to build with gtkhtml and glade
and a few others. If I enumerate the gnome stuff, it still wants to build with
gtkhtml (--without-gnome  --without-gnomeprint --without-applets
--without-gtkglarea --without-gtkhtml --without-gtkxmhtml). It fails on building
the XS_ stuff.

I do have a fully functional gnome2.2 installation but it appears to be
unrecognized. E.G. gnome-config no longers exists.

Is there a way to build without gnome1?

I see a newer version called gtk2-perl but I dont know if that is complatible
with gtk-perl (or gnome2.2 for that matter).
TIA
Tuck Hartshorn