Re: volunteers needed for gtk2-perl documentation

-- James Curbo <hannibal adtrw org> wrote
(on Monday, 11 August 2003, 12:40 AM -0500):
Aha, you've read my mind. I've been pondering on the documentation
lately (since I sent in that SimpleList patch). I'd be happy to help.

Something I was thinking about though.. what do you think of pods for
each class, like gtk-perl had? One side of me thinks they would be nice,
but another side thinks they'd be hard to keep up and that people should
just read Gtk2::api and the C docs. I believe a good middle ground would
be a short example page for each class and *maybe* a listing of methods,

That would be perfect, in my opinion. I've found myself following this
process:

    1. look at the C API
    2. turn to the gtk-demo/ examples to see how to do it in gtk2-perl,
    3. if (2) doesn't have a corresponding example, hammering at it with
       a variety of different methods, until
    4. turning to the list to find out if somebody knows how.

A brief example, followed by the methods available, for *each* class
would be tremendously helpful. Particularly helpful, too, would be
documentation when the gtk2-perl method takes different arguments or
different numbers of arguments than the C API.

with "go read the C docs for more extensive info" at the end. I know a
couple of times already I've done 'perldoc Gtk2::Treeview' (for
example)...

James