Re: ispell class for gtk-perl

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 12:59:55PM -0400, Ross McFarland wrote:
On a project I am working on there was some talk of rewriting gtkspell.c
from the ayttm project in perl.

there would probably be very little work getting gtkspell.c mapped into
perl, the way we are currently mapping gtk2, provided that it is
implemented as a widget. if not then it may still be possible, just
different.

unless there's something you don't like about gtkspell.c i wouldn't see
much reason to rewrite it in perl (as a module,) i would think that you'd
be better of getting the c version usable from perl (with perlxs etc.)

For Gtk2-Perl I agree, building an interface to gtkspell 2.x would be very
nice. However I'm working with Gtk-Perl at the moment. :) Yes, I thought
about using inline to gtkspell 1.x however I think we put less pre-req
requirements on the end user by doing it all in perl.

after looking at gtkspell.c for gtk2. i could do mappings for it in less than
an hour so to be honest i probably will this weekend. i see general usefulness
in having them. they will probably be part of the Gtk2-perl-xs tree and be
built if the nec stuff (gtkspell.c, ...) is on the system.

sorry that doesn't answer your point, or provide much usefullness to your
project.

looking at the gtkspell 1.x stuff it's not going to be quite as
straightforward, but it you could provide mappings for it in gtk-perl. this of
course would still leave you with the dependacy of having to install
gtkspell.c 1.x which you said you'd rather avoid. i have no desire to look at
getting it into gtk-perl. for that matter it seems that there's no longer
(like for the past 2 years) any development work being put into gtk-perl.

-rm