Re: Another Patch (was Re: yet another new snapshot (again))

Chas Owens said:
I took an old Gnome app from before I knew about Gtk::GladeXML and am
updating it to use Gtk2 and Gnome2.  The transition was very minimal, with

rock!

the exception of the $app->create_menus.  The helper functions from
Gnome::AppHelper do not appear to be implemented.  I took a brief stab at
it, but I need to study XS more before I can do anything that big.

it was more than i wanted to do yesterday afternoon when it was so sunny
outside.  ;-)  actually, the menu helper stuff requires some callbacks that i
haven't looked into handling yet.

The only other thing I have noticed so far is that I could say

my $sw = Gtk::ScrolledWindow->new;

but now I have to say

my $sw = Gtk::ScrolledWindow->new(
        Gtk2::Adjustment->new(0, 0, 99, 1, 10, 99),
        Gtk2::Adjustment->new(0, 0, 99, 1, 10, 99)
);

you shouldn't have to create new adjustments there --- it will take undef.
the xs definition for that function is

 GtkWidget *
 gtk_scrolled_window_new (class, hadjustment, vadjustment)
         SV * class
         GtkAdjustment_ornull * hadjustment
         GtkAdjustment_ornull * vadjustment
     C_ARGS:
         hadjustment, vadjustment

the _ornull means that you should be able to pass undef for that parameter
with no problems, e.g.:

  $sw = Gtk2::ScrolledWindow->new (undef, undef);

as for supplying default parameters, i think that's already been changed that to

 gtk_scrolled_window_new (class, hadjustment=NULL, vadjustment=NULL)

since last night's snapshot.

If you don't mind I am going
to go through the code and setup the defaults to match as closely to
Gtk-Perl-0.7008's defaults as I can get them.

use =NULL, not =0 (whoever put =0 in gtk-perl was very naughty).  we might
also consider adding some pod that explains the differences.

i'm all for consolidating constructors and coming up with abbreviations and
default parameters for things, but have been implementing things "faithfully"
for now.

--
muppet <scott asofyet org>