Re: question on glade/gtkperl application packaging

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 12:40, Joe Smith wrote:
Thomas Ledbetter wrote:

  I've been messin' around with gtk perl for a while...

  Has any one had much success in _easily_ packing everything up into a
single executable?

Oh man would I like to hear an answer to this!

I have an application built with Glade.  By the time it gets installed,
there are files in three different sub_trees_ of /usr/lib/perl5, three
different sub_trees_ of /usr/local/lib/perl5, an application code tree
under /usr/local, an application data tree under /usr/local and user
configuration and data in each home directory.  It's an absolute
nightmare to get it to build and install and run correctly.

My example uses the __DATA__ feature of Perl, but you could just as
easily use Inline::Files to manage multiple virtual files.

Tracking all the dependencies (Gtk-perl, glade, glade-perl, icons,
various CPAN modules) is another nightmare.

I don't like glade-perl, I prefer Gtk::GladeXML as I feel it gives me
more control.  The dependency nightmare is hard to solve.

Has anyone thought about something like Java, where everything can be
stuffed in an archive and 'exec'ed from there?

I guess you could have a script that looks like this:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use File::Path;

mkpath("/tmp/$0/$$/");
#unzip the DATA file somehow (I know there are
#modules to do this, but I haven't used them).
system("/tmp/$0/$$/$0");
rmtree("/tmp/$0/$$/");

__DATA__
gziped tarball of your application here

<Joe

--
Today is Setting Orange the 62nd day of Discord in the YOLD 3168
Pzat!

Missile Address: 33:48:3.521N  84:23:34.786W