Re: question on glade/gtkperl application packaging

Thomas Ledbetter wrote:

  I've been messin' around with gtk perl for a while...

  Has any one had much success in _easily_ packing everything up into a
single executable?

Oh man would I like to hear an answer to this!

I have an application built with Glade. By the time it gets installed, there are files in three different sub_trees_ of /usr/lib/perl5, three different sub_trees_ of /usr/local/lib/perl5, an application code tree under /usr/local, an application data tree under /usr/local and user configuration and data in each home directory. It's an absolute nightmare to get it to build and install and run correctly.

Tracking all the dependencies (Gtk-perl, glade, glade-perl, icons, various CPAN modules) is another nightmare.

Has anyone thought about something like Java, where everything can be stuffed in an archive and 'exec'ed from there?

<Joe