what's the trick to get key press events?

I'm using Glade to develop an application interface.

I have a menubar, to which adding accelerator keys was a piece of cake.
Now I want to detect key press events in a particular widget, but no key
press events ever seem to get through.

I've tried adding the key press mask and enabling 'can focus', 'has focus', 'can
default' and 'has default' with no effect.

What am I missing?  One answer might be a newer glade (I have 0.5.9).

Is there a tutorial/example on key handling?  It's all rather confusing.

<Joe