Gtk->main

Hi, I'm writing my first Gtk app and I've had some trouble.

My understanding from the reference documents, tutorials and example code was that Gtk::main was supposed to
be a loop that does not return.  That does not seem to be the case on my machine.  Even if I run the Goodbye
World example program from the gtk-perl tutorial, the program exits immediately after the call to "main Gtk;"
 If I put a print statement on the line after it, it prints out.  I thought this wasn't supposed to happen.

Please help.

eric

PS I've also tried to make my own loop by calling:

while(1)
{
Gtk->main_iteration();
}