libgnome-perl example code broken?

Hi-
I'm trying to write a very simple applet to display some text in my gnome
panel, and I can't make even the slightest headway. The applet.pl code in
the example directory is only about two lines removed from what I need-
except that it won't run:

marvin:~$ ./applet.pl
Can't locate object method "init" via package "Gnome::Panel::AppletWidget"
at ./applet.pl line 8.

Am I doing something dumb? Or have the APIs been modified without updating
the examples? I'm guessing #1, but I have no way of knowing since there is
basically no documentation (AFAICT) on this outside of the basic examples.
:|

Anyone?
Luis

      "Nobody ever said that democracy was simple or efficient."
            Florida Election Board Member Bob Crawford.