Re: [gtk-osx-users] GTK OSX and Mojave

On Jan 25, 2019, at 7:32 AM, Gabriele Greco via gtk-osx-users-list <gtk-osx-users-list gnome org> wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm trying to do a new installation of GTK with JHbuild, I'm having a few problem with python, libxml2 and
the build process.

If I do:

jhbuild bootstrap
jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap

the second command fails because libxml2 does not work with the apple provided python

if I run:

jhbuild bootstrap
jhbuild build python meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap

... the second step works, but then it fails on :

jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-core

with the error

jhbuild build: could not download
http://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk-osx/raw/master/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx.modules: <urlopen error unknown
url type: https>

.... because I think the jhbuild python does not support openssl.

I read an old thread that says to break the python build and manually add openssl dependency but there is a
more elegant way, for instance in the .jhbuild-custom to fix this behaviour?

You can do jhbuild build openssl python meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap meta-gtk-osx-core to get python built with
openssl support, or you can use python3 instead of python; that's recommended because Gnome dropped python2
support from several of their packages recently.

You can also try out the pipenv branch of gtk-osx-build from my GitHub repo,
https://github.com/jralls/gtk-osx-build/tree/pipenv. That sets up a python environment with a pre-set-up
python so you don't need to build one. That's the future of gtk-osx because it's needed to support meson, but
I haven't been able to get my head above water long enough to finish it up and merge it.