Re: [gtk-osx-users] cut/copy/paste accelerators on Mac

On 2014-12-26 23:58:02 +0000, John Ralls said:

2.24.25 is indeed the latest release of Gtk+-2.24, which is the terminal minor release of Gtk+-2. However, your earlier message mentioned /usr/local/Cellar/gtk+-quartz/2.24.11/share/themes/Mac/gtk-2.0-key/gtkrc. 2.24.11 was released in July 2012, which is “fairly ancient”; however, the last release of PyGtk was in April 2011, so perhaps in your case it makes sense to use the older Gtk release.

Oops. I was accidentally using
        /usr/local/Cellar/gtk+-quartz/2.24.11/share/themes/Mac/gtk-2.0-key/gtkrc
instead of
        /usr/local/Cellar/gtk+/2.24.25/share/themes/Mac/gtk-2.0-key/gtkrc
For some reason I also installed also gtk+-quartz which is not used by any other Homebrew package. I was now hoping this could explain the problem I'm experiencing, but alas, the two gtkrc files above are identical.

24 > 9.

I said 2.9x, as in 2.90, 2.91 and 2.99. See http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/gtk+/

As for Homebrew tampering with the Gtk source, there's no patches being applied in any case:
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/gtk%2B.rb

What *is* the recommended way for running Gtk+ 2 and PyGtk on Mac, as there seem to be no Mac binaries provided on the Gtk+ site? I tried a packaged PyGTK (including a Gtk+ 2.24) before, but that was very unstable running Zim (crashes on resizing windows, for example).

Recommended by whom? I recommend using jhbuild, which is the official Gnome build tool, along with the gtk-osx package which I maintain. It’s the environment under which gtk-mac-integration is maintained. No doubt the Homebrew folks recommend that you use Homebrew, the MacPorts folks recommend MacPorts, the Fink folks recommend Fink, and so on. Mixing build systems is likely to cause problems because the default configurations aren’t guaranteed to be compatible. MacPorts, Fink, and Homebrew all pollute the environment so that even having more than one of them on a system is also likely to cause trouble because the linker can get misled into getting the wrong library.

Yes, I have noticed that the package manager situation on Mac is less than ideal. I still like to use one (and only one) of them however, as manually installing packages from source is not my idea of fun. So far, I'm happy with how Homebrew organizes things.

I appreciate all the effort put into https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK+/OSX/Building, but if I can replace all those steps with "brew install gtk+ --without-x11", I opt for the latter. And it seems to work fine, with of course the exception of the shortcut keys in Zim, which is probably due to PyGTK (just now I verified this with Geeqie a non-PyGTK GTK+ application).

Note that those are recommendations for building. There are no packaged binaries because no one is willing to commit to making them at every release. You’ll notice that the Windows binaries on the site are also rather old. That’s because the guy who used to build them regularly moved on and no one has been willing to take his place on an ongoing basis.

Ah, the troubles of open source software...
I only spent so much time on this homebrew/gtk/gtk-mac-integration adventure because I haven't found a suitable replacement for Zim since switching to Mac. At least it's running stable now, the menus are where I expect them to be and most keyboard shortcuts are using Cmd now. I should probably be happy with that result.

In any case, thanks for your help,
Brecht