Re: [gtk-osx-users] cut/copy/paste accelerators on Mac

On Dec 26, 2014, at 3:05 PM, Brecht Machiels <brecht__gmane mos6581 org> wrote:

On 2014-12-26 22:39:51 +0000, John Ralls said:
Another thought occurred to me: You said that setting gtk-key-theme-name=“Mac” in ~/.gtkrc-2.0 doesn’t
work in the (rather ancient) Gtk+ built by Homebrew. Maybe there’s a message there, that Homebrew tampers
with the gtk source in a misguided effort to provide the functionality in a different way.

You say "rather ancient". To be honest, I'm at a bit of a loss trying to understand Gtk+ versioning. I was
under the impression 2.24 was the last Gtk+ 2 version. Homebrew offers 2.24.25, which is the last 2.24
version, AFAICS. But now I see the Gtk+ FTP also has 2.9x folders, but the dates on those source archives
are much older.

2.24.25 is indeed the latest release of Gtk+-2.24, which is the terminal minor release of Gtk+-2. However,
your earlier message mentioned /usr/local/Cellar/gtk+-quartz/2.24.11/share/themes/Mac/gtk-2.0-key/gtkrc.
2.24.11 was released in July 2012, which is “fairly ancient”; however, the last release of PyGtk was in April
2011, so perhaps in your case it makes sense to use the older Gtk release.

24 > 9.

As for Homebrew tampering with the Gtk source, there's no patches being applied in any case:
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/gtk%2B.rb

What *is* the recommended way for running Gtk+ 2 and PyGtk on Mac, as there seem to be no Mac binaries
provided on the Gtk+ site? I tried a packaged PyGTK (including a Gtk+ 2.24) before, but that was very
unstable running Zim (crashes on resizing windows, for example).

Recommended by whom? I recommend using jhbuild, which is the official Gnome build tool, along with the
gtk-osx package which I maintain. It’s the environment under which gtk-mac-integration is maintained. No
doubt the Homebrew folks recommend that you use Homebrew, the MacPorts folks recommend MacPorts, the Fink
folks recommend Fink, and so on. Mixing build systems is likely to cause problems because the default
configurations aren’t guaranteed to be compatible. MacPorts, Fink, and Homebrew all pollute the environment
so that even having more than one of them on a system is also likely to cause trouble because the linker can
get misled into getting the wrong library.

Note that those are recommendations for building. There are no packaged binaries because no one is willing to
commit to making them at every release. You’ll notice that the Windows binaries on the site are also rather
old. That’s because the guy who used to build them regularly moved on and no one has been willing to take his
place on an ongoing basis.