Re: [gtk-osx-users] Building on PPC fails - what is the current status?

On Mar 24, 2013, at 8:13 AM, t tensi gmx de wrote:

Dear all,

Steffen wrote:
Steffen, did you succeed in getting GTK2 to work on 10.4
or did you finally switch to Leopard?

I gave up on Tiger and my app requires at least Leopard now.

Unfortunately I have to support Tiger, but I am willing to go back to
some old versions of pango, harfbuzz, ... and recompile the complete
GTK stack.

So many questions to the GTK-OSX-experts on how to proceed ;-)

 - Is there some decisive change (maybe the move from ATSUI to
   CoreText) in the GTK libraries that makes them break on Tiger?  I
   assume that at some time the Quartz build has worked on Tiger.

I believe that's the case.

 - Where can I look to check what goes wrong? Do pango, cairo log
   their problems somewhere or do I have to make a debug build and
   step through?

No, you'll need to debug.

 - Assuming that I decide to move over to Leopard and finally
   generate an app bundle for the complete application with the
   necessary libraries will this bundle run on Tiger PPC?  Or are
   there some caveats here?

No,  building to an particular SDK effectively makes the corresponding MacOSX version
the minimum because we have many dependencies into libraries in /usr/lib; linking against the
stubs in the SDK (or the real library in /usr/lib) sets the minimum version for each.

The easiest way for you to proceed would be to clone gtk-osx and checkout a revision from
before last November and build against those modulesets.