Re: [Gtk-osx-users] Quick query re: ige-mac-integration

On Jun 14, 2010, at 10:05 PM, Richard Procter wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for your work on ige-mac-integration; it is good to see someone doing recent work on the GTK OS X port.
>
> I'd like to ask a quick question:
>
> I am porting a PyGTK app to OS X and notice that GtkOSXApplication does not appear to automatically substitute the Apple command key for the control key in all accelerator key combinations, unlike the older ige-mac-integration. If that's right, is there some other convenient way to achieve the effect?
>
> If not, and as this is important for users, it means I will be using ige-mac-integration for now. If it was a relatively trivial change, I could probably commit a little time at some point to adding the capability to GtkOSXApplication.

Please address questions to the mailing list or forum.

Yes, I decided that it's rude to force that change, as some users might want to leave the accelerator mappings alone. The simple solution is the Gtk solution: Add a line to your code to load an accelerator map, and provide one which uses the OSX mappings. Users can then comment out all of the entries.

There's a template accelerator map in the "data" directory of ige-mac-integration which includes extensive instructions, but it's easier to add gtk_accel_map_save("filename") to your program for one run to get a complete dump of all of the accelerators and to edit the accelerator keys -- usually you can just replace <ctrl> with <meta> and you're done. Change the "save" to "load" (assuming that the call is in the right place) and you're set.