Re: [Gtk-osx-users] failed glib build on 10.6

On 11/09/2009, at 1:10 PM, John Ralls wrote:
> On Sep 10, 2009, at 5:37 PM, Richard Jones wrote:
>> I have no Fink, DarwinPorts, MacPorts or similar environment set up.
>> My system is an upgrade from Leopard. I had installed Python 2.6 (a
>> 32-bit build) under Leopard using the installer from python.org and
>> that remains the active python 2.6 on the system (Snow Leopard
>> upgrade did not overwrite it). I have some things installed in /usr/
>> local/ but I don't believe any of it is relevant. Other than that I
>> cannot think of anything that would affect the build of glib, yet
>> when I run "jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-core" I get the attached
>> output.
>>
>> Please advise if there's any other information that would help debug
>> this problem.
>
> Did you run jhbuild bootstrap and jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap
> before attempting to jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-core?

Yep, I followed the instructions as given at:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gtk-osx/wiki/Build

And there are no problems reported building those things.

> Other than that, does `which gcc` report /usr/bin/gcc, and /usr/bin/
> gcc point to /usr/bin/gcc-4.2?

Yes.

> Is this an absolutely clean start on 10.6,  or might there be
> leftovers from 10.5?

The system was upgraded from 10.5 but the build was started in 10.6

> Gatomic.c has a bunch of assembly routines. While %rdx isn't mentioned
> explicitly in the source file, it might be something mis-generated
> somewhere. Just to be sure that /usr/local doesn't have anything
> strange and that there are no leftovers, try the following:
>
> $ rm -rf ~/gtk
> $ export PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:~/.local/bin
> $ jhbuild bootstrap
> $ jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap meta-gtk-osx-core

I went one step further and removed ~/.local as well, but I had to
include git's install directory:

$ rm -rf ~/gtk ~/.local
$ export PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:~/.local/bin:/usr/local/git/bin
$ jhbuild bootstrap
$ jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap meta-gtk-osx-core

With the same outcome - the error compiling "gatomic.c". I tried it
twice, just to be sure.

I googled the error and found a discussion on an unrelated project's
site which suggested using "-m32" switch to gcc. I used that and got
"gatomic.c" to compile. Unfortunately I can't figure how to work that
into the jhbuild process.

     Richard