Re: [Gtk-osx-users] Creating a gtk+osx gtkglext framework for use with OpenGL?

On Jun 20, 2009, at 11:06 AM, Jack Skellington wrote:

> Hello :)
>
> I'm new to this list, I just compiled an old Gtk+/Linux app of mine
> using gtk+osx and Xcode, but I had to,
> cheat using gtkglext and others from macports and I get a crash in
> glXQueryExtension from gdk_gl_init from gtkglext.
> Do I need to make a OS X framework for gtkglext using gtk+osx or is
> there another way?
> The point is NOT to use X right?
> How do I get OpenGL when using gtk+osx?
>
> Sincerely
> Jacob

I have no idea how to get OpenGL working for GTK-OSX, but I can assure
you that using MacPorts is guaranteed to fail. Yes, the point of GTK-
OSX is to not use X.

GtkGLExt is not part of Gnome or GTK, it's a separate library. The
website is GtkGLExt.sourceforge.net. It's rather sparsely maintained
from the look of the CVS repository. (It looks like it was taken over
in March; there were a flurry of commits, and then nothing.) It may
require some work to get it going with gtk-quartz... or even a modern
cairo-based X11 GTK.

The GL solution that's part of Gnome -- and appears to be a bit more
actively maintained -- is GtkGLArea, which you'll find in the usual
Gnome places. You may be able to build that by hand with just a little
fiddling to interface it to the OpenGL framework. I think that you'll
want to avoid Mesa and the headers in /usr/X11/include/GL, because
they'll pull in X11 dependencies, which may have unpredictable results.

Sorry that I can't be more help.