Re: [Gtk-osx-users] newbie begs for assistance

On Jul 11, 2009, at 1:46 PM, Aron Weinstein wrote:

> ok, so I misunderstood the "prerequisite"
>
> downloaded and installed developer tools, re ran the command and it
> says:
>
> aron-weinsteins-macbook-pro-2:~ aronweinstein$ sh gtk-osx-build-
> setup.sh
> Checking out jhbuild (2.27.3) from git...
> From git://git.gnome.org/jhbuild
> * tag               2.27.3     -> FETCH_HEAD
> Installing jhbuild...
> Installing jhbuild configuration...
> Installing gtk-osx moduleset files...
> PATH does not contain /Users/aronweinstein/.local/bin, it is
> recommended that you add that.
>
> Done.
>
> So, does that mean it worked, but I need to manually add a directory?
> when I try and name a .local directory it tells me I can't have the
> period in the directory name

It means that you need to add that directory to your $PATH. ($PATH is
the list of directories which are searched for a programs to run.) You
do that in Terminal by saying:
$ export PATH=$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH
or by adding that line to .bashrc . You have to do it in Terminal,
Finder doesn't let you work with hidden files (those beginning with
'.'). Note that the '$' represents the prompt in terminal, which may
really be "bash-2.23$" or something like that. I don't remember what
is the default off hand. (The $ prompt is a very old Unix convention
designating an ordinary user; the same convention uses '#' as the
"superuser" prompt.) You don't type it or put it in your .bashrc. (rc
is another ancient Unix convention for naming startup files,
so .bashrc  is the startup file for bash, .jhbuildrc is the startup
file for jhbuild, and so on. Starting a filename with '.' means that
it won't show up on a regular directory listing, so it doesn't clutter
up your listing when you're looking for a regular file in your home
directory.)

The directory /Users/aronweinstein/.local/bin already exists, the
jhbuild install script created it for you. The setup script could fix
the path for you, but most experienced unix users would consider that
obnoxious.