Re: [gtk-osx-devel] Freeze during GISCAN Gtk-3.0.gir ?

On Oct 21, 2012, at 8:21 AM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau redhat com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 08:44:13PM -0700, JIm Charlton wrote:
>> Out of interest, are you building with
>> jhbuild using a moduleset... or just the usual ./configure, make,
>> make install?
>
> I've been trying using the -stable moduleset (and also the others when the
> first one didn't work). What is very annoying is that I'm pretty sure
> things worked smoothly a few weeks ago, and when I wanted to rebuild from
> scratch, I hit this issue :(
>

>> Which OS X version are you on?
>
> This is Lion.
>

>> Is there currently a stable moduleset that will build gtkmm3 from
>> scratch without any errors??
>
> No idea, I've stuck to gtk3, no c++ stuff. I've tried to send patches to
> fix the issues I've met on the way so that it works for others out of the
> box. I've got 2 remaining issues in the -stable moduleset, first one is
> perl-xml-simple which got a 2.20 release and removed the 2.18 tarball used
> by the moduleset from its previous location, and the other one is a weird
> freetype build failure which is worked around with a jhbuild buildone -cfa
> freetype. I should look more at that one...

Another user pointed out the version change on perl-xml-simple yesterday, and that's fixed.

While I'm interested in understanding what it is about Freetype that's choking jhbuild, you should know that the current release of Pango, which will go into the modulesets when I update them this week, no longer requires Freetype. Behdad has gotten CoreText fully integrated so that it handles all of the shaping.

Skipping gobject-introspection works fine for Gtk2. Nothing much uses introspection with Gtk2. Gtk3 is another matter, but if you're dealing strictly with C, you might be able to get away with it there, too -- but Gtkmm3 needs to have Gtk3 introspected, doesn't it?

Regards,
John Ralls