Re: [Gtk-osx-devs] pkg-config and _exec_prefix

On Jan 17, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> John Ralls wrote:
>
>>> Hi, seems like pkg-config didn't want to be found
>>> when not installed in the prefix but _exec_prefix:
>>>
>>> os.environ["PKG_CONFIG"] = _exec_prefix + "/bin/pkg-config"
>>> os.environ["PKG_CONFIG_PATH"] = prefix + "/lib/pkgconfig" + ":" + prefix + "/share/pkgconfig"
>>>
>>> There's also a related GTK+ bug that fails to use
>>> $PKG_CONFIG when pkg-config is not in the $PATH...
>>>
>>> gtk+-2.20.1-m4macros-pkgconfig.patch (root cause)
>>> libglade-2.6.4-pkgconfig.patch (resulting effect)
>>>

>> But why would pkg-config not be on the path? If you're not building it as part of gtk-osx, then adjust the path in .jhbuildrc-custom.
>>

> I *am* building pkg-config as part of gtk-osx, but it is in
> _exec_prefix (~/Source/bootstrap) and not prefix (/opt/gtk)
>
> This seemed to cause a problem with libglade not finding it ?
>
> checking for pkg-config... /Users/afb/Source/bootstrap/bin/pkg-config
> ./configure: line 10602: pkg-config: command not found
> *** pkg-config too old; version 0.7 or better required.
> checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.5.0... no
>
> This is because of the mentioned bug of not using $PKG_CONFIG.
>
> When I did add pkg-config to the $PATH (using /opt/pkgconfig)
> the build did complete OK. So it's just something jhbuild ?
>

> I thought the setup of pkg-config should go next to the
> other setup, just to make sure that it finds it alright ?
>
> os.environ["M4"] = _exec_prefix + "/bin/m4"
> os.environ['LIBTOOLIZE'] = _exec_prefix + '/bin/libtoolize'

That would be because you've created a separate exec_prefix in your .jhbuild-custom, so it's your job to adjust the path the same way.

I don't have any problem with you doing things your way, but I'm not going to change things for everybody else to suit you.

Oh, I forgot to ask: What's the Gtk bug number?

Regards,
John Ralls