Re: GtkGLArea

Emmanuele Bassi wrote:

On 12 January 2017 at 19:13, Bill Kelly <billk cts com> wrote:

I had been excited to see the new GtkGLArea, thinking it would help
get Clutter using the GDK backend on OSX, and facilitate getting
gtk-clutter-embed working on that platform.

That should not be a goal for anybody, really.

The only way to make Clutter render appropriately using the GDK
backend with GTK+ 3.x is to literally make a GDK backend for Cogl that
reuses the GdkGLContext API instead of creating its own GL context,
and then uses the GL context to render on an FBO, and calls
gdk_cairo_draw_from_gl() with it. Anything else exposes the same issue
I referred to above, which means that GtkClutterEmbed is exploiting
undefined behaviour that we're currently keeping on life support until
we can switch GNOME away from Clutter altogether — partially with
GStreamer integration with GTK+, and partially with GTK+ 4.0 and the
GSK API.

That makes sense per GTK's architectural roadmap.  Interestingly, though,
the clutter-gtk library already works on Windows.  We're able to embed
GTK widgets onto Clutter actors.

If you yourself needed to get clutter-gtk working on OS X under GTK 3.x,
is there a particular approach you'd take?

(I had presumed getting Clutter on OSX to compile with the GDK backend
might be the way to go, since that's what we're doing on Windows.)

Regards,

Bill