Re: CSS to look more like Gtk+ 2

This will probably be my only intervention on this topic.

Le nonidi 29 frimaire, an CCXXV, Emmanuele Bassi a écrit :
I honestly could live without the contempt and entitlement that have
been expressed in this (and other) threads.

Contempt is usually a symmetric thing. If users felt less contempt from
some developers about their needs and preferences, maybe they would
express their complaints and requests in a milder manner.

"gtk3-nocsd" is a massive hack that undoes what application developers
want to achieve in the first place.

I will not contradict this.

It's entirely your prerogative to hack on your own copy of GTK+, but
that's simply a broken approach. GTK has nothing to do with
client-side decorations, outside of:

 * providing an API for using them from applications
 * using them for the dialogue windows it creates — *if* the
configuration toggle for them is set

"I did not kill anybody, I only designed and built the guns."

This is, mutatis mutandis and with all proportions of severity scaled,
exactly the same argument, and it amounts to nothing.

I will assume that CSD were implemented in Gtk+ because application
developers requested it; if it was an initiative from the Gtk+
developers, it is even worse.

When CSD were requested, the Gtk+ developers should have taken a stand:
"no, CSD are an awful UI design, we will not implement it in our
library". They did just that when application developers requested
window-in-window multi-document interface, and I supported them
heartedly.

Instead, they (you?) took a stand against users, not only by
implementing it but also by making it impossible to disable it.

This is ridiculous.

The people that "get to decide" are:

 * application developers
 * toolkit developers

Nice view on the whole Libre software thing.

Additionally, you're entitled by the license used to take the code and
do what you want with it.

Those are the only two things you can "decide": whether to involve
yourself in the development upstream, or fork it and take matters in
your own hands.

A fork is exactly what you will eventually get. You are very wrong to
encourage it. I lived a fork from the inside six years ago, and it was
awful, we are still not fully recovered.

GNOME developers are the reason GTK+ exists in the first place,

Sorry, despite mostly lurking, I have been around longer than you, and
you are wrong: Gtk+ exists because of Gimp, not Gnome.

And the policy turned sour about the same time the Gnome developers
overflowed the original Gimp developers.

Writing free software is not software development camp. You don't get
a prize just for showing up. Either you put your money where your
mouth is, or you don't get to say "you know better".

You are funny.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George