Is Unicode character set a problem when compiling GTK sources?

Hello, I'm working on VS projects to build GTK and gtkmm, and by accident found this mail on google posted by Chun-wei Fan. (Hi Fan!)
And that surprised me a lot because I set all my projects to use *unicode character set* (even Fan's projects which I'm using) which were
set to Multibyte character set are now set to *unicode character set*

Can you tell what consequnces could that have?
I'm starting to think it would be better to re-compile everything with Multibyte instead because I have bad problems with GTK+ on run-time, there should be reason why those projects found in official sources are all set to Multibyte??

Thank you!
~codekiddy