Re: Stock items (button images / menu images etc)

On 06/01/2014 17:29, John Emmas wrote:
On 06/01/2014 16:33, Patrick Welche wrote:
On Mon, Jan 06, 2014 at 03:11:46PM +0000, John Emmas wrote:

Maybe I could get some clues about the problem if I could read the source code.
It is essentially in this file:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/gtk/updateiconcache.c

Thanks Patrick. It seems to use g_printf() for writing to stdout. I might try rebuilding it tomorrow to use printf() - just to see if that makes any difference.

I tried a rebuild this morning. As it turned out, I didn't need to change anything in the source code. Simply rebuilding with MSVC improved things enormously. Here's what seems to happen with the official exe (presumably cross-compiled from Linux??)

I launch the exe using this command:-

gtk-update-icon-cache --force --ignore-theme-index --source builtin_icons stock-icons

1) If I issue the above command from a Command Prompt (as an Administrator) I see a bunch of output in the command window. By tacking "> some_file" onto the end, I could capture that output and redirect it to "some_file".

2) However.... if I DIDN'T launch the Command Prompt as an Administrator, the exe's output doesn't go to the command window. Instead, a second command window gets opened and the output gets sent there. Presumably, that 2nd window has its own independent stdout. Therefore I can't successfully capture (or redirect) its output.

There's some evidence that the official (cross-compiled??) exe is behaving differently with different versions of Windows. For me, it seems to work okay in WinXP but I get the above problem if I try to run it with Win7 or Win8. I don't know if that offers any clue as to what's wrong?

John