Re: Stock items (button images / menu images etc)

On 14/12/2013 22:54, Jernej Simončič wrote:
On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 14:39:39 +0000, John Emmas wrote:

by the end of the process (which usually
takes a couple of minutes) "temp.file" is invariably empty. I simply
cannot find any way (on Windows) of producing a correctly populated file.
The program might be outputting to stderr, in which case you need to use
gtk-update-icon-cache --force --ignore-theme-index --source
builtin_icons stock-icons 2> temp.file

Sorry for the delay in replying Jernej, I got diverted onto a different project.

Just to recap.... I was having problems when using the utility "gtk-update-icon-cache.exe" as I couldn't make it redirect its output to a file. I tried your suggestion about trapping stderr instead of stdout but unfortunately, that didn't work either.

I did discover though that the only way to redirect the utility's output successfully is to run as an Administrator. If I run as a normal user I consistently end up with an empty target file. However, even running as an Administrator isn't foolproof. It only works if I run from a Windows Command Prompt. If I attempt to run gtk-update-icon-cache.exe from a script of some kind, redirection immediately stops working again. It's incredibly frustrating.

Is the source code for gtk-update-icon-cache.exe available anywhere? Maybe I could get some clues about the problem if I could read the source code.

John