Re: Installing GTK+ 3.8.0

I couldn't help noticing that Gtk reported:
  configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.35.3 ...
but, to satisfy Atk, you appear to have installed glib-2.34.0!

I have also found it necessary to set both LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

When using autogen.sh I have also found that some packages need ACLOCAL_PATH or something equivalent in ACLOCAL_FLAGS. For the tarball release, configure is (surely) supplied so I would advise not attempting to regenerate it - that being the point of autogen.sh.

For building Gtk and various supporting packages from Git source (where autogen.sh must be used) I use the attached script. This extracts whatever HEAD points to in each Git repo and builds in a temporary location, accumulating the required environment variables. The script is intended to be stepped through one block at a time as it doesn't really have any fault handling. Given the way it works, it may be useful/instructive even if not building from tarballs. (Of course, any feedback would be welcome!)