Re: Threads

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 12:32:11 -0400
Craig Bakalian <craigbakalian verizon net> wrote:
[snip]
Wait, just a minute here.  I just got home to 8 emails with the
heading Re: Threads.

First, can I put my code back the way it always worked, using
gdk_threads_enter() and gdk_threads_leave() and compile with
DISABLE_DEPRECATED in my makefile?

No, but that is irrelevant to your original posting, and to your
problem.

And to go back to my original posting, there is no ABI/API breakage as
someone had thought.

Second, this application is for my desktop only.  I have no bug
reports, no comments, no outside requirements, this app is only used
by me.  So, anyway to get it to work on my desktop I will do.  I am
currently writing a function that is called from the JACK callback
the way Paul is recommending.   However, if I can just recompile with
old code...

His suggestion was not, as far as I can see, version specific.  Anyway,
you are now headed in the right direction.

Third, the app did crash with signal errors to the gtkTextBuffer, or
gtkTextView.  The signal error was "cannot find line number in
gtk_text_layout..." is what kept coming up, when, and this is key to
understanding this issue, when I removed the gdk_threads_enter() and
gdk_threads_leave() from the JACK callback.  This happened before
13.10.  I had to put the gdk_threads_enter() and gdk_threads_leave()
in the callback to stop the errors.  All was well, I was lucky, as
Paul stated to me 3 times, until ubuntu 13.10.

Indeed.

Chris